Monday, June 9, 2008

Blast from the past - Princess Bride


So after that all-day study-a-thon, I came home last night totally wiped out. DBF and I curled up on the couch together, ate pizza and flipped through the TV channels. Turns out that Princess Bride was on, and DBF had never seen this class film! I had great pleasure in introducing him to one of my all-time feel-good favs.

I mean seriously...this movie is quotation heaven!
"As you wish!"
"No more rhymes now, I mean it!" "Anybody want a peanut?"
"Inconceivable!"
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
"My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father. Prepare to die."
"Your friend is not all dead, he's mostly dead....All dead and there is only one thing you can do....go through his clothes and check for loose change."
"Mawwiage...mawwiage is what bwings us togever today."
"There is a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. Twould be a pity to damage yours."
"Drop. Your. Sword."

*sigh*

I had such a teenage crush on Westley, although I didn't really want to be Buttercup. Even then I could realize that she was too much of a ditz (check out her lame reaction to the R.O.U.S. in the fireswamp.) But Westley...oh my little heart went pitter pat. I distinctly remember wearing out a hole in the VHS tape (remember those?) on the part when they rolled down the mountain and had their big reunion. AND being annoyed at Fred Savage's character for stopping all the good kissing bits.

Memories. Heh. Anyways, my BF really enjoyed the movie and now I'm sure to hear the Inigo Montoya line in the future.

Anyone else want to reminisce with me? Btw, if you are brave, ABC has this 20 year retrospective where they show then and now pics of the actors involved. My poor teenage crush...is seriously crushed. yikes!

17 comments:

Carrie Lofty said...

Yeah, you really don't want to see Cary Elwes these days. TOTALLY ruins poor Westley. It must be really hard to age in public like that.

I didn't see TPB until I was in high school, and didn't really appreciate it until I saw it again in college. Brilliant work. Apparently Rob Reiner cast Elwes in the role after watching Lady Jane. His portrayal of Guildford Dudley opposite Helena Bonham Carter is dynamic and forceful, but with an underlying humor that must have caught Reiner's attention.

Other quotes:

"We'll never survive."
"Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has."

"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differentlyh is selling something."

About the Fire Swamp: "Well, I'm not saying I'd like to build a summer home here, but the trees are actually quite lovely."

"You are the Brute Squad!"

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."

"Probably some local fisherman, out for a pleasure cruise... at night... in... eel-infested waters..."

"Who are you?"
"No one of consequence."
"I must know."
"Get used to disappointment."
"Ok."

"Sleep well. And dream of large women."

One Keven and I use all the time: "Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up."

And I love calling people the Queen of Putrescence.

azteclady said...

:sob: I clicked on that link! :wail: why did I click on that link?



:sniff:

"thank you so much for bringing up such a painful subject. While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?"

lisabea said...

This is my favoritest book. Just..damn it's good.


And the movies good too.

Sarai said...

I heart the movie and OMG what a crush I had in high school. So no I will pass on the link. I love my Westly I do and i will not have him tarnished by some stupid lie on the internet. *shakes head crosses arms in front of chest* Thank you I shall go back and watch it tonight.

lisabea said...

And Russell's not fat either!

Just needed to throw that out there.

thank you.

Tracy said...

Oh I love all those quotes that both you and Carrie posted! Such a great movie! And after reading the comments I'll pass on the link! lol

sula said...

carrie, those are all fantasic quotes which I lurve. Land war in Asia...lolol. I still like to do that "booo, boooooo" part occasionally with the accent of the old hag. not that anyone gets it but i am amused. Shame about Cary Elwes. I have only seen him play snarky bad guy roles since that movie (cept for Robin Hood Men in Tights). He does have a sense of humor and timing.

az, I did warn you! lol. Nice quote, btw. Humperdink, humperdink, humperdink!!!!

lb, you are right bout the book. I read it long after having memorized the movie and it's so sarcastic and funny. Even more biting in its humor.

sarai, I'm sure that those lies on teh internet are all manufactured. We know the real truth. "Westley, oh my sweet Westley."

tracy, if you can manage to click past the first picture in the gallery (Cary Elwes) the rest are quite alright and even entertaining. :)

zeek, what a great coming-of-age gift. Such a classic film. I was so pleased to be able to experience it anew through my BF's eyes.

Ana said...

Oh How I adore this movie. I saw it for the first time with my mom when I was what? 12? 13? at the movies, summertime. Then I read the book which is awesome as well.

I luuuuurv it. Inigo Montoya is the BEST.

Marg said...

You know, I have never seen this movie!

lisabea said...

Marg~ You should rectify that! It's such a gem.

Mary M. said...

It's fun to see the quote in English. Princess Bride is one of those movies I've only ever seen dubbed, never in original version. Maybe I should buy the DVD. They made a beautiful new Special Edition about three years ago.

azteclady said...

mary m, you really should--trust me on this one, from a non-native English speaker to another :wink:

Marg, you gotta watch it, woman. Srsly!

KT Grant said...

WUVE TRUW WUVE!!

Have fun storming the castle!

As you wish... :D

Shaymless Aymless said...

My favorite of all times! Love both the book and movie!

The movie has so many great lines, there are just too many to count. And the characters are just so fabulous. Loved Billy Crystal as Miracle Max! The archbishop still makes me snort!

Shaymless Aymless said...

Oh what the heck...

"Goodnight Wesley. Sleep well. Mostly like kill you in the morning."

Dev said...

Awwwww, thanks for posting this Sula! I love, love, love this movie. My best friend and I watch it a lot. I've tried to watch it with kiddo. She's not as thrilled with it as I am. Of course, it could be because she's 16 and isn't thrilled with anything as much as I am :-)

Sarah said...

I love this movie, esp Mandy. He is so cool!