Thursday, November 1, 2007

slowing down for a while

Well, for every good thing there is a slight downside. My bf and I are housesitting for some good friends during the entire month of November. The good thing is that the house is a fantastic place - an old historic schoolhouse converted into a rambling comfy home. It's out in the countryside, and I can curl up in a chaise lounge with a good romance novel and gaze out over the fields towards the mountains. That's good. The downside is...no internet. So I expect that my blogging and visiting everyone else's blogs and whatnot is going to slow down this month. *grumble*

I'll still be around now and then, but for now, I leave you with this interesting little music video. Amadou and Mariam are a married couple from Mali. They're both blind and have been making music together for quite some time. A few years ago they had a breakout hit album in which they collaborated with Manu Chao. When I was living in Mali, I heard the tail end of this song one time on the BBC and was instantly hooked. Unfortunately, I didn't catch the name of the song or the artist, so it took me a long time to track down. Once I got back to the States and found the album, I bought it and still enjoy being transported back to Africa whenever I listen to it. Anyways, enjoy! Nath can translate the French, and I can translate the Bambara. :)



Despite the upbeat music, the story behind the song is quite serious, which I think you'll surmise from the video.

2 comments:

Dev said...

Well, you may not have a lot of time on the internet ~ but you'll definitely have lots of reading time available :D Have fun!

Kristie (J) said...

Sounds like a lovely place - but no internet *wincing* that one would be hard :)