Sunday, October 28, 2007

romance, how do i love thee...let me count the ways

So I have been putting off the creation of my top 100 list for the AAR poll, but time is a ticking. I've been working on it tonite and wow, it's like a walk down memory lane. I started by listing authors in a spreadsheet and then adding another column for book titles and a column for little notes to remind me of the story/plot/characters. So far I have 66 and I'm not done fleshing out all of my fav authors' backlists, so I don't think 100 will be a problem. Putting them in ORDER...now that's another story. still, the whole exercise is interesting. I can see how I've definitely tended towards historical romance until more recently. Some authors that I don't read much now, but who will be on my list include Garwood, McNaught, Laurens, Quick, and Putney. Their work made up the core of my reading during my undergrad years and I consider a lot of it to be classic (at least for me). More recent (to me) authors include Kinsale, Ivory, and Quinn as well as Loretta Chase, Madeline Hunter, Karen Ranney, and Jo Goodman. Then there are the much newer ones like JR Ward, Elizabeth Hoyt, Galen Foley, Emma Holly, Sarah McCarty. Of course the top of the list is reserved for my all-time-all-time-ALL-TIME favorite, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. We'll see how the rest of them shake out.

I started a book last night and finished it this morning, and I think it will be on the top 100 because I was highly entertained and want to read more of the series. Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur. Not sure if it qualifies as a romance, but it's going on my list anyways.

Anyways, that's enough of me talking...Go vote!

2 comments:

Dev said...

Good luck with the list. It's a lot of work to put it together, but it should be a nice stroll down memory lane.

Kristie (J) said...

It's hard doing these lists isn't it? There are a number I left out due to lack of numbers and I regret that I had to leave them off. And then the order - yikes! After I got to 30, it was almost impossible to do and book 99 could just as easily be #47 and so on and so on!