Saturday, December 15, 2007

the joys of shared living space

This will be a quick little post as I'm heading out the door to an internet-less weekend. Yesterday evening I agreed to dogsit from this afternoon until Monday morning back at the house in the country where I was housesitting all November. Great house, very cozy. But yeah, no internet. meh. I am bringing 6 new books and 2 that I need to review. Maybe I'll just curl up with some popcorn and hot cocoa and read for two days non-stop.

All of my roommates except one have cleared out for the holidays. The one who's staying is gone for the weekend. My house is empty. Of course, they were nice enough to leave both sides of the kitchen sink chucked full of dirty dishes, the dishwasher full and un-run, and the stove covered in dirty pots and pans. yay! Merry Christmas to me! And of course this weekend my big plan was to do a major cleaning of the house since my parents are coming to stay starting Monday night. arg! I am really annoyed.

So I've spent the last four hours in domestic bliss. Loading and unloading dishwasher, washing pots and pans, scrubbing grime off the stove, wiping down all counters, sweeping, scouring and mopping the linoleum floor. The fun just never ends. I intended to wash out the fridge too, but that's just going to have to wait. Vacuumed the living room and dining area and realized that I will have to go buy some sort of carpet shampoo because it is atrociously dirty. wahhhh!

Anyways, the sky is threatening and the forecast calls for snow. So I'm off to the other house before I get caught in inclement weather. They do have satellite and BBC America which means Robin Hood and RICHard! Here's hoping I can come back here on Monday morning and finish all of the other cleaning items before picking up the parents at the airport.

There's a whole 'nother level of foreboding at having two weeks of my parents here but that's for another post. I'll leave it with a simple equation. Conservative Christian missionary parents + Muslim African boyfriend = good times fun.

6 comments:

lisabea said...

Hey, uh, Sula, how bout coming over to my house for a quick tidy? I have internet....very tempting, no?

Have a good weekend!!

Joanna Chambers said...

Have a great weekend and read LOTS - I want to read those reviews.

BTW you have the coolest Gravatar.

KT Grant said...

No internet!! ACK.
Catch up on your reading ;)

Kristie (J) said...

Good thing/bad thing. No internet= bad thing. Reading time and Guy= good thing.

I'm just on bad thing/bad thing.

Dev said...

Have fun reading and, of course, watching Guy (which I'm doing at this very moment).

bex said...

Dear Sula, I think I may have just fallen in love with you. I just threw at tantrum at two of my housemates about the water bill, they seem to think these things will pay themselves... they also think that bathrooms have magic cleaning pixies. After throwing said tantrum and learning to foam at the mouth. I came to the sanctuary of my oom, one of the few grime free zones in this abyss. came on line and searched for happy stories of shared living.
And here you are... thanks